It’s a busy episode. We’re catching up on the Mongol world and all that was happening away from the specific journeys of European friars. That means the rise of Hulagu and Kublai, the Mongol expansion into Persia and Syria in the west and Song China in the east, the death of Mongke Khan, and a civil war over the future of the empire. Thanks for listening everybody!
- Al-Din, Rashid. The Successors of Genghis Khan, translated by John Andrew Boyle. Columbia University Press, 1971.
- Asbridge, Thomas. The Crusades: The War for the Holy Land. Simon & Schuster, 2010.
- Jackson, Peter. The Mongols and the Islamic World. Yale University Press, 2017.
- Lambert, Malcolm. Crusade and Jihad: Origins, History, and Aftermath. Profile Books, 2012.
- Man, John. Kublai Khan: From Xanadu to Superpower. Bantam Press, 2006.
- Marshall, Robert. Storm from the East: From Genghis Khan to Khubilai Khan. University of California Press, 1993.
- Rachewiltz, Igor de. Papal Envoys to the Great Khans. Faber & Faber, 1971.
- Rossabi, Morris. Khublai Khan: His Life and Times. University of California Press, 1988.